As long as I can remember, I made resolutions every New Year's Eve. And I even managed to keep some of them – for about a week at the most. So this year, I decided to do something different. I am going to make non-resolutions and things I will not do in 2013. Maybe I will manage to keep these non-resolutions for a little bit longer.
Here they are:
1. I will not worry about how much exercise I am getting every day. Instead, I will simply try and stay active and enjoy the physical activities I like best: walking around the city, biking, and swimming. I will even try and enjoy housecleaning while reminding myself that vacuuming and other cleaning activities burn calories.
2. Instead of dieting, I will focus on thinking about what I am eating. Mindless eating results in mindless calories.
3. I will not worry about the wrinkles at the corners of my eyes, or the gray hairs that are multiplying on my head. I will be grateful for moisturizers and will either learn to live with the gray or call my hairdresser.
4. I will not be embarrassed to wear comfortable shoes. I love heels but the truth is they hurt. Pain is so last year.
5. I will not spend pointless hours criticizing myself for things I have not done to stay healthy. Instead, I will be grateful for the opportunity to move forward and correct my mistakes.